actualiteitsforums  

Ga Terug   actualiteitsforums > ACTUALITEITSFORUM > MILIEU / GEZONDHEID / MENSENRECHTEN > Voedsel/Voeding
Gebruikersnaam
Wachtwoord
Home FORUMS Registreer Arcade Zoeken Posts van vandaag Markeer Forums als Gelezen

Antwoord

Onderwerp Opties Zoek in onderwerp Waardeer Onderwerp Weergave Modus
Oud 13th December 2013, 00:57

Getting drunk without the hangover or health risks – scientist seeks investment for ‘

Getting drunk without the hangover or health risks – scientist seeks investment for ‘alcohol substitute’ drug

Scientists are developing a drug which mimics all the positive effects of being drunk without any of the health risks, addiction – or hangovers.

The “serious revolution in health” is being pioneered by the former Government drugs advisor Professor David Nutt, and has been described as doing for alcohol what the e-cigarette has done for tobacco use.

It targets neurotransmitters in the brain directly, giving the taker feelings of pleasure and disinhibition that are in some cases “indistinguishable” from the effects of drinking. Yet because it acts directly, it can also be immediately blocked by taking an antidote – with “drinkers” potentially able to then drive or return to work straight away.

Prof Nutt is one of the country’s leading neuropsychopharmacologists, but he and his team at Imperial College London have hit a stumbling block – perhaps unsurprisingly, no one in the drinks industry is willing to fund the drug’s development.

Speaking to the Dragon’s Den presenter Evan Davis on the BBC’s Today programme this morning, Prof Nutt appealed for investors to come forward and support his ground-breaking research.

He said: “I think this would be a serious revolution in health... just like the e-cigarette is going to revolutionise the smoking of tobacco.

“I find it weird that we haven't been speaking about this before, as it's such a target for health improvement.”

One of the biggest benefits to Prof Nutt’s alcohol substitute would be to remove addiction as a drinking problem. The scientist said 10 per cent of drinkers become addicted, and that addicts account for most of the one and a half million people killed by alcohol every year.

The Professor said that the drug would be taken in the form of a range of cocktails, and added: “I’ve done the prototype experiments myself many years ago, where I’ve been inebriated and then it’s been reversed by the antagonist.

“That’s what really gave us the idea. There’s no question that you can produce a whole range of effects like alcohol by manipulating the brain.”

Bron: indepedent.co.uk

Mening:
Eerlijk gezegd, ik denk niet dat veel mensen me zullen tegenspreken, dit is een interessant artikel! Toen ik de titel las, dacht ik eigenlijk al meteen aan het feit dat het dan te verslavend zou worden. Stel je voor altijd dronken te kunnen worden zonder daar de nadelen de volgende dag van te hebben, dat zou het voor veel mensen al veel te aantrekkelijk maken. Maar dus ook verslaving willen ze tegen kunnen gaan met het medicijn, ze hebben dus duidelijk verder dan hun neus gedacht.
Ook een super idee dat je het meteen van zijn werking kunt afnemen en veilig met de wagen naar huis zou kunnen rijden. Als dit gerealiseerd kan worden, zou dit niet enkel in de gezondheidssector een doorbraak zijn, maar ook voor het verkeer zou dit doorslaggevend zijn als dit ingeburgerd geraakt.
Al denk ik ook wel dat het niet helemaal ingeburgerd zou geraken, wetende dat alcohol veelal om de sfeer gaat, om de sociale aspecten en minder om het 'dronken zijn'. Dat is gewoon hetgene wat er automatisch als gevolg bij komt.
Misschien wel handiger voor de bobs, die toch even in lichtere sferen willen zijn zonder op de weg naar huis iemand van de baan te scharen met de auto.. Want alle middelen die dat zouden kunnen voorkomen zijn welkom.
Met citaat antwoorden
Antwoord

Onderwerp Opties Zoek in onderwerp
Zoek in onderwerp:

Uitgebreid Zoeken
Weergave Modus Stem op dit onderwerp:
Stem op dit onderwerp::

Posting Regels
Je mag niet nieuwe onderwerpen maken
Je mag niet reageren op posts
Je mag niet bijlagen posten
Je mag niet jouw posts bewerken

vB code is Aan
Smilies zijn Aan
[IMG] code is Aan
HTML code is Uit
Forumsprong

Alle tijden zijn GMT +2. De tijd is nu 19:42.