actualiteitsforums  

Ga Terug   actualiteitsforums > ACTUALITEITSFORUM > MILIEU / GEZONDHEID / MENSENRECHTEN > Global Warming
Gebruikersnaam
Wachtwoord
Home FORUMS Registreer Arcade Zoeken Posts van vandaag Markeer Forums als Gelezen

Antwoord

Onderwerp Opties Zoek in onderwerp Waardeer Onderwerp Weergave Modus
Oud 5th December 2015, 16:04

Kerry: Exxon could lose 'billions' in climate change lawsuit

Kerry: Exxon could lose 'billions' in climate change lawsuit

If it’s proven that Exxon Mobil Corp. misled investors and the public on the science of climate change, Secretary of State John Kerry said he would be “outraged, furious” and predicted the company could be hit with a record lawsuit.

“I think that Exxon Mobil stands potentially to lose billions of dollars in what I would imagine would be one of the largest class-action lawsuits in history,” Kerry told Rolling Stone in a wide-ranging interview on foreign policy and climate change.

Asked if he would support such a lawsuit, Kerry said, “I would support the investigation into what happened, and, based on the facts, I'd pursue the facts. You pursue the truth in this kind of a situation.”
Reports by InsideClimate News and a team of Columbia University journalists in the Los Angeles Times have accused the oil giant of quietly studying the negative impacts of carbon dioxide on the atmosphere while publicly questioning the science of climate change.

Exxon has denied the claims. In a letter to Columbia officials earlier this month, the company accused the journalists of engaging in unethical practices and ignoring evidence from the company.

The reports have led environmental groups and the three major Democratic presidential candidates to push the Department of Justice to investigate. New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has also launched a probe.

Kerry said that, if true, Exxon’s actions would be on par with those of cigarette companies that ignored the cancer-causing nature of their products.

“It's the same thing,” he said. “It's immoral and incredibly damaging to everybody's global interests. It's a betrayal.”

In the Rolling Stone interview, Kerry also discussed the Obama administration's focus on climate change and how he defines success at the Paris climate talks that began Monday.

“The reality is when you get 150-plus countries signing on to hit targets, they all have to do something,” he said of the carbon reduction targets that make up the bulk of the negotiations.

“I mean, they're not going to do nothing, believe me. And 20 of them will make a major impact — the major emitter group — and that's what it takes to get the job done.”

He defended the State Department's rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline project as one based on “the merits, period” and not outside political pressure.

And while he promoted the work the Obama administration has done on climate change, Kerry cast doubt on whether the U.S. will ever implement a tax on carbon emissions.

“There are ways of doing it that could be accepted by people, and I think corporations themselves will help step up and make it happen,” he said. “But for the moment, it's outside my diplomatic bailiwick.”

Bron: The Hill, 1 december 2015. http://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...-kerry-predicts

Eigen mening: Ik vind dit gedrag onacceptabel van de oliegigant. Het zijn praktijken zoals deze dat ervoor zorgen dat mensen zo vaak argwaan hebben tegenover multinationals. Zoals in het artikel staat, verraadt Exxon haar klanten en de algemene bevolking. Hier ben ik het mee eens. Merk wel op, in de titel staat "could". Dit is interessant omdat we onbewust ervan uitgaan als we zo'n titel lezen dat het bedrijf waarschijnlijk een boete van miljaren euro's zal krijgen. De spijtige realiteit in onze maatschappij is waarschijnlijk het tegenovergestelde. Oliegiganten zijn zo machtig en rijk dat landen en groeperingen van landen ze vaak de straffen die ze verdienen voor hun praktijken niet durven opleggen. Overheden kunnen bijzonder weinig druk uitoefenen op zo'n grote multinationals, en dat vind ik eigenlijk een heel slecht systeem. Op die manier kunnen de immense multinationals tot in vrij grote mate hun eigen gang gaan.
Met citaat antwoorden
Antwoord

Onderwerp Opties Zoek in onderwerp
Zoek in onderwerp:

Uitgebreid Zoeken
Weergave Modus Stem op dit onderwerp:
Stem op dit onderwerp::

Posting Regels
Je mag niet nieuwe onderwerpen maken
Je mag niet reageren op posts
Je mag niet bijlagen posten
Je mag niet jouw posts bewerken

vB code is Aan
Smilies zijn Aan
[IMG] code is Aan
HTML code is Uit
Forumsprong

Alle tijden zijn GMT +2. De tijd is nu 02:53.