actualiteitsforums  

Ga Terug   actualiteitsforums > ACTUALITEITSFORUM > WERELD > Cultureel-maatschappelijk
Gebruikersnaam
Wachtwoord
Home FORUMS Registreer Arcade Zoeken Posts van vandaag Markeer Forums als Gelezen

Antwoord

Onderwerp Opties Zoek in onderwerp Waardeer Onderwerp Weergave Modus
Oud 22nd February 2018, 20:19

Florida students chanting 'We want change' walk out of schools to protest gun violenc

(Update: Oprah Winfrey donates half a million dollars to student march)

Students and staff at a South Florida high school walked out of class Tuesday to protest gun violence and marched to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where 17 students and staff members were killed by a gunman using a semiautomatic rifle.

Protests were also staged Tuesday at Fort Lauderdale High School and McArthur High in Hollywood, Fla., following others in recent days at other schools in the region.

The largest event Tuesday was held by hundreds of students and staff at West Boca Raton Community High School, who chanted, “We want change, we want change” as they marched with police accompaniment to the Stoneman Douglas campus, about 10 miles away. Stoneman Douglas has been closed since Wednesday and is set to reopen next week, with teachers arriving Monday and students resuming class the next day.

The march took place on the same day that some students from Parkland traveled to Tallahassee to talk to state legislators about gun control efforts.

Also Tuesday, George and Amal Clooney said they are donating $500,000 to March for Our Lives demonstrations supporting gun control that have been called for across the country March 24. This is a note the Clooneys posted to the March for Our Lives Facebook page:

“Amal and I are so inspired by the courage and eloquence of these young men and women from Stoneman Douglas High School,” George Clooney said in a statement Tuesday. “Our family will be there on March 24 to stand side by side with this incredible generation of young people from all over the country, and in the name of our children Ella and Alexander, we’re donating $500,000 to help pay for this groundbreaking event. Our children’s lives depend on it.”

Hours later, Oprah Winfrey donated half a million dollars herself to the cause, tweeting:
George and Amal, I couldn’t agree with you more. I am joining forces with you and will match your $500,000 donation to ‘March For Our Lives.’ These inspiring young people remind me of the Freedom Riders of the 60s who also said we’ve had ENOUGH and our voices will be heard.

Bron:The Washington Post
Link:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.27a6300703de

Eigen mening: Ik ben erg onder de indruk van de massale reactie, vooral vanuit de jeugd. De woede die in de Verenigde Staten heerst rond de lakse wapenwetten hebben een kracht op de benen gebracht waar zelfs Trump, zelf volledig pro-guns, publiek restricties heeft aangekondigd op het gebruik van wapens. Toegegeven, erg onder de indruk van Trump ben ik niet aangezien hij een verstrenging wil invoeren en tegelijk op andere vlakken van de wapenwetten een versoepeling.
De studenten echter hebben me versteld doen staan. Zij zijn een laag in de bevolking zonder stemrecht en toch slagen zij er in om genoeg druk uit te oefenen om op zijn minst beloftes te forceren. Dat kan enkel als er een massale groep als één man met dezelfde stem schreeuwt. Wat me wel opviel is de locatie van de vernoemde scholen en protesten. Het is vooral opnieuw de west en oostkust die reageert. Midden Amerika lijkt stil te blijven. Het is net daar dat de pro-guns activisten vooral zitten.
Ik hoop dat de studenten hun stem proberen behouden. Over enkele jaren worden zij stemgerechtigd en kunnen zij bouwen aan verandering. Hopelijk blijft de wapenproblematiek dan nog steeds een belangrijk punt in hun levens. Zo belangrijk dat ee herhaling niet nodig is om verandering af te dwingen.
Met citaat antwoorden
Antwoord

Onderwerp Opties Zoek in onderwerp
Zoek in onderwerp:

Uitgebreid Zoeken
Weergave Modus Stem op dit onderwerp:
Stem op dit onderwerp::

Posting Regels
Je mag niet nieuwe onderwerpen maken
Je mag niet reageren op posts
Je mag niet bijlagen posten
Je mag niet jouw posts bewerken

vB code is Aan
Smilies zijn Aan
[IMG] code is Aan
HTML code is Uit
Forumsprong

Alle tijden zijn GMT +2. De tijd is nu 15:09.