actualiteitsforums  

Ga Terug   actualiteitsforums > ACTUALITEITSFORUM > EUROPA > Politiek
Gebruikersnaam
Wachtwoord
Home FORUMS Registreer Arcade Zoeken Posts van vandaag Markeer Forums als Gelezen

Antwoord

Onderwerp Opties Zoek in onderwerp Waardeer Onderwerp Weergave Modus
Oud 25th October 2015, 02:35

Tony Blair apologises for 'mistakes' over Iraq War and admits 'elements of truth' to

Tony Blair apologises for 'mistakes' over Iraq War and admits 'elements of truth' to view that invasion helped rise of Isis.

Tony Blair has made apologies about aspects of the Iraq War for the first time and has said there are ‘elements of truth’ in the theory that the invasion helped feed the rise of the so-called Islamic State (Isis).
In an television interview with the US network CNN, the former British Prime Minister said he was sorry that the intelligence behind the decision to attack Saddam Hussein’s regime in 2003 was wrong, and admitted there had been mistakes in the planning of the operation.
He had been asked how he felt about the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq as he took questions from American political broadcaster Fareed Zakaria in an interview due to be broadcast by CNN Europe on Sunday.
Tony Blair meets troops as he arrives in Basra for a visit to British soldiers in Iraq (AFP)
It is as part of a longer documentary, Long Road To Hell: America In Iraq, set to be screened on Tueday.
With the cameras rolling, Mr Zakaria asked Mr Blair: “Given that Saddam had no WMDs, was the war a mistake?”
He replied: “I apologise for the fact that the intelligence we received was wrong. I also apologise, by the way, for some of the mistakes in planning, and certainly, our mistake in our understanding of what would happen once you removed the regime. But I find it hard to apologise for removing Saddam.”
Mr Blair’s comments led to questions as to why he had chosen to be so candid to a US network before making such comments to British broadcasters or newspapers. The timing of the interview has been noted by critics, with the long-awaited findings of the Chilcot inquiry into the conflict due to be made public early this year.
The war led to large scale public protests and rebellions against Mr Blair in the Labour Party. Saddam Hussein was toppled but up to 500,000 people are said to have been killed in war-related deaths from 2003.
In his CNN interview, Mr Blair, who resigned as Prime Minister in 2007, was asked how he felt about being sometimes branded a “war criminal” by his opponents, and how it had changed the way people viewed his time in Downing Street. He responded by comparing the invasion with inaction in Syria, claiming the West and Europe had stood back while hundreds of thousands of people had been killed.
Tony Blair holding a joint press conference with President George W. Bush in the Rose Garden of the White House, his final visit before he resigned in June 2007 (Rex)
He added: “By the way, I always point out to people, I did actually win an election after Iraq. But I agree it’s been a huge political problem.”
In another segment, Mr Blair is asked whether the war provoked the growth of Isis, the group which now controls swathes of Iraq and Syria and which is being hit with air strikes from a US-led coalition that includes the UK.
“I think there are elements of truth in that,” Mr Blair said. “Of course, you can’t say those of us who removed Saddam in 2003 bear no responsibility for the situation in 2015.”
In the past, Mr Blair has been less candid about what went wrong. In 2007, he insisted: “I don’t think we should be apologising at all for what we are doing in Iraq.”
'Fareed Zakaria: GPS' is on CNN Europe at 11am and 7pm on Sunday.

Bron: The Independent 24 October 2015
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...n-a6707776.html

Opinion: Ik vind het enerzijds positief dat een ex-premier zijn fouten durft toe te geven, en dat een politicus ook eens eerlijk is voor de verandering.
Aan de andere kant vind ik het natuurlijk zeer slecht dat enkele van zijn beslissingen en acties geleid hebben tot het groeien en versterken van de IS.
Tony Blair heeft nu al enorm veel klachten gekregen van de burgers van het VK. Dit vind ik zeer oneerlijk, de burgers vergeten al de positieve dingen die Blair gedaan heeft. Hij heeft Saddam Hussein verwijdert in 2003 en heeft meer geld vrijgemaakt voor gezondheid en educatie.
Ook vind ik dat meer politici zijn voorbeeld moeten volgen en eerlijk uitkomen voor de fouten die ze maken in plaats van altijd te doen alsof alles volgens hun plan gaat.
Met citaat antwoorden
Antwoord

Onderwerp Opties Zoek in onderwerp
Zoek in onderwerp:

Uitgebreid Zoeken
Weergave Modus Stem op dit onderwerp:
Stem op dit onderwerp::

Posting Regels
Je mag niet nieuwe onderwerpen maken
Je mag niet reageren op posts
Je mag niet bijlagen posten
Je mag niet jouw posts bewerken

vB code is Aan
Smilies zijn Aan
[IMG] code is Aan
HTML code is Uit
Forumsprong

Alle tijden zijn GMT +2. De tijd is nu 13:25.